Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
ponylover

Default Need a straight answer on fuel delivery

I'm trying to plan out this build, and I can't seem to find the info I need. I've searched here, and other places on the internet (including google), and it seems like everybody has their own take on fuel pump ratings, and what is enough of pump to handle a particular power range.

I'm in the process of ordering a Dart 427W, and it's gonna be carb'd. I'm expecting at least 500-550 at the flywheel, and I'm gonna add a 250 plate system to it. I'm gonna sump the gas tank, and it will have two ports for the availability of a dual pump system (one for N/A and one for nitrous), but I would prefer to do a single pump for all. I understand the whole philosophy of you can never have too big of a fuel pump, but some things in excess are not smart investments. I guess what I'm getting at is what is a minimum of GPH pump that is required with -8 fuel line to supply my needs? I've found the formula online about hp/2=WOT lbs of fuel needed per hour, but it seems like some people don't agree with that. I know there's no end all be all answer for this, but I need some kinda direction. The answer for this can be in mechanical or electrical form. Even if someone has an accurate formula to figure this thing out, I'll take that too, and figure it out on my own with the formula. This is gonna be a drag only car, very minimal street time if any.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid."

Somehow, "Krispy Kreme Racing" just seems like an oxymoron to me.
ponylover is offline   Reply With Quote